Catching Up on Family, Friends, Home and More

 I have to be honest and tell you that I'm actually surprised by how easily I have fallen into this Retirement Thing. After going full speed for years and years, I figured I'd love it at first but then maybe get a little bored. So far, that's not happened but of course, Kevin and I have been keeping super busy with some light travel and catching up with fixing up some things around the house. I always said that taking care of the business always came first and our home and cars always came in second. Since retiring, we've been able to have some really great projects around the house done such as replacing windows, replacing some flooring, having all our vents cleaned (that was fun! - lol) and this week we are even getting new carpet! 

I admit that we might need to slow down a bit on the spending but for now it's been fun to freshen up things like buying new canisters (to replace the ones I've had for 20 years), moving furniture around (and having 3 garage sales to help clear out) and redo my wardrobe (I've been going more fun and flirty). This morning when I woke up, I told Kevin "You have to take me out for an early lunch so that I can show off my new shoes!!! Come on, do you know how monumental it is to be able to buy shoes that I don't have to stand in all day and fit my odd feet (2 different sizes, 2 different widths). Thank you Alanna for turning me on to Torrid for both shoes and clothes that fit and make me feel girlie. 

Over the last 11 months we've been able to take quite a few fun, but affordable trips. We've stayed mostly close to home with a few jaunts on planes to Florida and Tennessee. 

We've also been able to catch up with friends such as Patti and Jeff who currently live in Maryland. After a lunch visit with them, we drove onto Annapolis for 2 wonderful nights. Kevin booked us the most amazing room, right on the water and every morning we heard the Star Spangled Banner played at the near by United States Navel Academy. We lucked out by having unseasonably warm weather, which was wonderful!! 

We were also able to catch up with an "Old Friend" who lives in Holland. She stayed with us for 2 weeks when she was 17 - Loduvica. She's all grown up now with a son of her own and a thriving business.  We met up with her when she was in National Harbor for a conference. We were able to spend time with her over dinner and drinks quite late in the night. We enjoyed National Harbor, as we had never been. Some fun meals, walking around the harbor and twirl in their Ferris Wheel. 

In March we had a fantastic time visiting the Tampa area where we met up with friends from Princeton - totally by accident. I was walking around a restaurant looking for a bar seat because we had just arrived and were starving when I heard my name!! Low and behold there sat Tere and John having brunch. We were able to join them for a couple of hours and a few drinks! It never ceases to amaze me, now small the world is sometimes! 

We enjoyed our time in Tampa and had fun meeting up with Kevin's
Aunt Jacquie and Uncle Tom for dinner 3 nights in a row.  They took us to a fabulous restaurant called the Columbian in Ybor City, where we drank sangria and watched traditional Spanish dancers. This restaurant has been in the same location for over 120 years and now takes up 1 whole city block. We had a fantastic time! 

For our last night in the area, Uncle Tom made us his fabulous barbequed ribs. It was the first time we were able to see their "winter" home and loved it! We loved watching the monarch butterflies in their back yard. We always enjoy spending time with these 2 special people and are so grateful to have them in our lives!

The following morning we were back in our rental car and off to
Siesta Key where we did little more than lounge by the pool, walk to the beach for amazing sunsets and ate in fabulous restaurants! I admit that we certainly could have done more sightseeing but we were fine to just hang out. It happened to be during St. Patrick's Day and were able to find a lunch spot that served green beer with corned beef and cabbage!!

On our way back to Tampa for our flight the next day, we were even able to stop at Ca'D'Zan which is the Venetian Gothic Palace on Sarasota Bay which was the home of John and Mable Ringing of the Ringling Brothers Circus! Another unexpected part of the trip but totally enjoyable. If that wasn't enough, we somehow were able to gain entrance for free that day! Yes, free is always nice. Apparently, they were upgrading their computer system and all they took from us was our zip code. If you are ever in the area, I also recommend this fabulous location and plan to stay for most of the day. 

Last month we were able to visit a few places on our bucket list such as Fallingwater and The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I have to say, none of these locations disappointed. 

While planning our trip, I noticed that The Christmas Story House was also in Cleveland and so we were able to squeeze that in. I have to say that we really enjoyed the tour. We had a fantastic guide (named Bill) who was very animated, funny and explained all the interesting trivia about the making of the movie. It has us looking forward to watching the movie with a different eye next holiday season! 

Well, that's it for now. 11 months into retirement and still not bored. Who knows what the future holds but so grateful to be having so much time to relax, have fun and get things done!! 



Comments

Popular Posts