What Turning 60 Means to Me

The anniversary of our first year of retirement is coming up very soon. What a wonderful year it's been. 

When I look back over the last year, I can't believe how many fabulous trips we have taken, including spending 5 glorious days in Bermuda with our dear friends who live there (at least part of the time). Kevin asked me what I wanted for my 60th and that was it. To be with Bob and Lindsay in Bermuda. Although Bermuda is not new to us (we'd been there 2 other times), being with locals was an experience we won't soon forget! Two half days spent on a beautiful boat, floating in 4 feet of crystal blue waters - I mean, really? How good is my life. 

When I first thought about writing this post, I was going to joke about clicking knees, swollen ankles and being humbled by how hard it was to get into and out of this boat! But growing old is something not everyone gets to experience, so I thought it best not to make light of some silly side effects of growing older.

As some of you may know, last year we sort of shocked everyone by closing the shop. It may have appeared sudden but it wasn't, as my final email to customers attested to. We handled the last year the best we could, trying to sell the shop, while getting ready to leave the shop, still being passionate about our business but then closing the shop when a buyer was not found. There was no way we could sign another 5 year lease and our time in the flower business needed to come to an end. I'm not sad about it though because in my heart of hearts, I could not imagine my store in the hands of another person. 

I thought for this blog I would share my last email to customers which was sent out on the night of June 30th. Until that day, we just kept the shop ticking along, taking orders for that day, delivering and keeping the shop full with flowers and product, right up to the end. If you read on, you might see why it was time and how grateful we were to our employees and customers. Thanks for reading and Happy Birthday to me! I made it to 60 and I'm so happy about that, as turning 60 has always had special meaning to me. 

We are Retiring.

After 34 wonderful years, Kevin and I are retiring and have closed Monday Morning Flower and Balloon Co. as of today.  

Although we would have loved to hand the reins over to a new owner, sadly it was not meant to be. We knew that our deep involvement in the daily operations would be hard shoes to fill and with the help of a business broker, we spoke to many people about taking over the business. Unfortunately, the perfect buyer could not be found. 

You may wonder how we could close a successful business but we set the goal to be able to kick back and relax while we still had our health. As I personally near the age of 60 (a short year away), I can't help but think of my own father who left us at 60. He never had the chance to retire and it's always been in the back of my mind. 

Knowing you relied on us to be there for you, we understand you may be a little upset with us but know that even if we did sell the business, we would not do so unless we had someone who would provide you with the same level of attention, love and service that you deserved.

If you are wondering about our amazing staff, there have been tears but they have faithfully stayed with us until the end. We know that each of them will go on to continue their careers and do great things. They are all young and talented. 

So in closing, let me take this opportunity to tell you how much we have appreciated each and everyone one of you. How much we valued your business and in many cases your friendship. 

For the last time....
Florally Yours, Georgianne




Comments

Popular Posts