Snow!!

 I've always loved snow. Well, I actually like looking at it from a warm, cozy den rather then being out in it. If you see me at a ski resort, I'm the one sitting inside with a glass of wine, near a fire watching people come down the hill. My fondest memory of snow was when we took a trip with 3 other couples to Park City, Utah to see The Sundance Film Festival. Oh gosh, what a fabulous trip with lots of snow. I can't help but do a shout out to my friend Lindsay (I've written about her before) who planned everything and did a fantastic job. A highlight was a horse drawn sleigh ride through the woods! Certainly a trip to remember! 

As you may know, we live in a townhome development and part of our monthly dues includes shoveling and snow removal. When we moved into our home in 1995 we made promise to ourselves that we would never buy cars that did not fit in our double garage, nor would we ever have so much "stuff" that we couldn't fit our cars. When we were working and had to get to the shop, snow never stopped us! We would just open the garage door and barrel out and down our driveway, right through the snow with our Jeep before the plows could even get to us!! I'm sure our neighbors were jealous - lol. 

At the shop, we never let bad weather stop us from making our deliveries. We set up parties in blizzards, delivered a wedding during Super Storm Sandy and set up balloons during floods. We never missed an event that wasn't cancelled. We had various Valentine's Days when we had bad rain, sleet and snow. Scary to have up to 12 vans on the roads in those conditions. One year we even put up our entire staff at a hotel that was within walking distance to our shop just so that we knew they could make it in to create the designs. Gosh, those were some crazy times!! 

As we were planning our retirement, Kevin and I talked about getting snow. We could not wait till we had snow and had no where we needed to be. Although we feel bad for anyone who has to travel in bad weather, we were looking forward to hunkering down and staying home. I even bought some crafts to work on (and believe me, I'm not a crafty person) but sadly, those stayed in the closet. We were so disappointed when we got zero snow last year, not even a dusting. 

Well, finally it happened. This morning we woke up to about 2 inches. Yippee! It was not enough to keep us home today (we headed out to PJ's Pancake House for breakfast) but it was so nice to see. The view from our bedroom was so pretty. We even had a few tiny birds off our back deck and I'm sure we will see the deer and foxes crossing through our back yard tonight. The snow makes them easier to see! 

Speaking of snow, I'll share one last memory... When Kevin and I had just started dating in the winter of 1982, we had a huge storm go through our town of Howell, NJ. My mother was worried about Kevin driving home so he spent the night (in our extra bedroom, of course) and the following day, he took this picture of me sitting on the roof of my car. The snow was so deep I could just walk up!! My car was a 1970 Ford Galaxy and if you can't tell from this photo, it was actually a pretty tall car. Of course, I'm wearing my varsity jacket being it was the warmest coat I owned and had only graduated from high school the previous year. A great memory! Happy Winter and remember Spring is only 63 days away! 





Comments

Popular Posts